Infinite Space: And Then There is This One...

Like a homepage, only crankier...

Thursday, February 03, 2005

And Then There is This One...

...which is, frankly, just a verbal kick in the nuts. But I like it, so I give it to you here in its entirety from Slate.com:

"Sosul Security"

A phonics lesson for the president. By Timothy Noah Posted Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2005, at 3:29 PM PT

This is undeniably petty, but one of the things I most dread about tonight's State of the Union address is listening to my president mispronounce, over and over, the name of the government program that Franklin Roosevelt established to provide a decent retirement income for the nation's elderly. Dubya insists on calling it "Sosul Security." I don't think this is a Southern thing, like "nucular." I think it's a George W. Bush thing.

Possibly the president dozed off in phonics class when they explained the difference between "ci" as in "circle" and "ci" as in "special." If so, I offer as a public service this aural tutorial from Donald L. Potter, who teaches grade-school English in the president's home state of Texas. In the syllables "cial," "cious," and "cient," Potter explains, "ci" is pronounced "sh." Potter has posted additional phonics resources here.

If he's going to privatize it, at the very least he should know how to pronounce it.

Post State of the Union Question: Does anyone know if that really was the way he pronounced "social," tonight or not? Did someone actually take the time to pull him aside and say, "Mr. President, since Social Security is the center-piece of your domestic agenda, I feel I should tell you that it's actually pronounced 'so-shul.' Just thought you might like to know, sir..."? Myself, I was mostly yelling at the TV, and thus might have missed some of the nuances of his oratorical style.